Sunday 2 June 2024

Interesting Meet Ups in Exotic Places A Plethora of Kiwis

Today (31 May - my 75th birthday) I visited Moon Shadow. A beautiful Catamaran owned by Bill and Paula from Takapuna. We were both anchored in Kommeno outside Gouvia Marina in Corfu Greece. 

Paula is the daughter of Terry Cookson and sister of Mick. The family who designed and built Checkmate. It was an honour to meet Bill and Paula and convey to the family how much Checkmate had been a part of my life and love of cruising. Some of the best years of my life.  They had seen my post in Noonsite on my circumnigaton and passed it on to the family.

Naturally the conversation also covered other cruising topics and was most enjoyable. But then meeting other people is always interesting and almost always fun. (Provided they are anchored a reasonable distance away)   

Neal and Lesley from Tauranga were on Euphoria - a catamaran with a nespresso coffee making machine. I was spoilt with coffee and pancakes. Again we met in Kommeno. I left later in the afternoon to be closer to the resaurants bars and nightclubs of Corfu for my birthday and anchored close to Corfu town near the Yacht Yard which was more sheltered than Kommeno. Surprisingly many yachts are now using this anchorage. I was surprised to see Euphoria had followed me to the anchorage. There to pick up guests (their daughter) the next day.

My birthday In Corfu was a quiet celebration with drinks, (well a drink) then dinner at a the "Corner" restaurant in the market area.

Next day it was off to Plataria - on my way South to Preveza. Plataria is a quiet town onthe mainland. A good and safe anchorage. I filled the tanks with water.

Next  day was a motors ail to Emerald Bay. A favourite stop for tripper boats and flotilla charters. I tied the stern to a rock as the tripper boats left.

I was soon joined by "Tiki Tour" with Dave, Diane and two children Kiera and Finn. They have been sailing for many years and had great stories of sailing and travelling adventures including property development in London. Both young with hue life experience. We shared a BBQ on shore - a weber.

Laura and Anika swam over and introduced themselves. Both travelling the world and working remotely as an archaeologist and Civil Engineer. They hired a small runabout with a big engine - no instruction and no experience. They drifted and caught my anchor chain. First dive of the season I had their anchor free.  Nice to know I can still do it      

        

No comments:

Post a Comment