Sunday 14 July 2024

The "Blue Eye" and more

 Cold water flowing from a depth of 50 metres produces a deep blue colour of blue. It also supplies fresh water to town and is a large tourist attraction.

                               Train to the "Blue Eye" I walked 1 way 300 Leke to come back 


                                                               Crystal Clear water




                                                        I don't think he wanted to do that

Driving in Albania Its totally nuts. The roads vary from super excellent to non negotiable goat tracks at times. I had difficulty on the scooter. Cars are nearly impossible to negotiate road works. 

Drivers are aggressive and rude. Aim their cars at oncoming traffic. One passed our bus at high speed due to oncoming traffic and lost control as he passed - only just recovering with a tail slide avoiding the oncoming car. Major roads are one way - controlled by lights in villages in places. Situated mainly in the hills the roads are steep narrow and winding.     


                                                                        Bus to Vlore

Vlore

Some interesting Backpackers lessons

I arrived at the bus station with the intention of checking in to Vlore Backpackers. It was too far to walk in the heat, so got a taxi. Phoned the backpackers when at the gate to be told there was no bed available.

What to do. Facing a possible night on the beach (memories of Nice 30 years ago).

Go and have a beer. The taxi driver had given me his card so I phoned him and the girl at vodafone told him where I was. Found another backpackers on the other side of town and he drove me over.   4000 Leke - twice the going rate ($NZ 75), I stayed one night. The taxi driver took me to a vodafone service centre to replace my broken phone (dropped face down on the road the previous day). Had coffee part of the time while we waited and he drove me back to the "hostel" -- double and two single beds, air con, sep toilet, shower,  kitchen and a washing machine it was luxury to have it to myself. 

The taxi driver took me to the bus station next morning, and that was all I saw of Vlore.  

The Heat

35+ degree heat makes it impossible to do anything that requires energy during the day. From 10.30am to 6pm it is too hot.  Bus travel has been ok. Airconditioning is a must especially at night. Hydrating is almost constant and I have been adding electrolyte tablets to my drinking water

The locals come out at night in droves.   



   

No comments:

Post a Comment